Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Intro

My name is Alina. I am a mom of 4, and many of us nowadays have to deal with food allergies. My family hit the jackpot as far as I'm concerned. My son, Jude, has gluten, soy, dairy, and peanut allergies. I, along with two other kids have egg, dairy and meat allergies. My daughter Emi is allergic to beef, pork, and crab of all things, but we can all eat fish.  So how do I adapt our diets to handle all this?  Well the meat thing I can handle, because I was strict vegetarian for over ten years of my life so adapting to that is easy. I've actually never prepared beef or pork ever in my life. Adapting to the gluten free diet was challenging, but the hardest thing for me to change is our dairy habits. But it's so hard to do! I don't need to give up cheese, half & half, and ice cream! Darn those casomorphins!  Jamie, my husband, and Emi, don't have any reactions to dairy, they can tolerate them more than the rest of us.  So having meat, dairy, soy, peanut, egg, and gluten allergies in the family is a little hard to accomodate. So what's a mom to do? After running screaming I put on some relaxing music and crochet! Because I can't cook anything for any of us, right? Well now I can say, wrong! Hey I was a professional cook back in the day, it's just another challenge I can take on. Since then, I've actually adapted to this whole situation and come up with, not a few, but many meals and desserts that fit our dietary needs and I'd like to share them to anyone out there who has a remotely similar situation. So stay tuned for my recipes!