Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Portobello Club Sandwich on Udi's Bread

I just made the best sandwich and I thought I'd share it with you.  It is not allergen friendly though.  I decided to cheat on this one.  It's made on Udi's bread which contains eggs.  You can substitute an eggless bread if you like.  This sandwich also had canola mayo in it, but you can substitute Veganaise or another appropriate spread if you're on an egg-free diet.  

3 slices of GF bread untoasted like Udi's
2 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
roasted red peppers, jarred
a handful of arugula
sliced tomato
2 T. Italian dressing like Annie's Tuscany Italian
2 T. appropriate mayo
1/2 tsp. jarred chopped garlic
a dash of cayenne pepper
a dash of salt

Combine the mushroom caps with the Italian dressing.  Heat a little olive oil in a saute pan and cook the mushrooms for around 3 to 5 minutes on each side.  Meanwhile, combine the mayo with the chopped garlic, cayenne, and salt.  Really the longer you let it marinate, the better it tastes.  But I did it last minute and it was still good.  Spread the mayo over the 3 slices of bread.  My roasted red peppers came out whole, so I sliced them.  Arrange the slices on top of the mayo on one slice.  Then add one mushroom cap.  Then add a handful of arugula, then the sliced tomato.  Top with another slice of bread, mayo side up, and repeat the process, topping with the last slice of bread, mayo side down.  Easy enough, right? Enjoy alone in an empty room and lick all the juices off your fingers.  I sent all the kids upstairs so I could enjoy this one in solace.  Yah, it was that good.  (Maybe it's also because I haven't had a sandwich in a really long time.)

This sandwich was gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and nut free

No comments:

Post a Comment