Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Tomato Rice Soup

Have you ever looked into your bare refrigerator and skimpy pantry and wondered what am I supposed to make with what I have?  I've got plenty of Nothing in my pantry.  And on top of it all, it's probably too cold, windy, rainy, or snowy to venture outside and get something to eat (assuming you could eat out), or go to the store for more ingredients.  Well, lately that happens to us a lot.  My asthma keeps me from venturing too far at the moment, and now that I'm not touching eggs or corn, I find myself looking at my kitchen wondering, "What the heck am I supposed to eat!"  With the weather like it is, I'm craving soup. This soup solves it all.  With creamy soups out of the picture, we always have canned tomatoes on hand.  And being gluten free, we always have rice on hand.  Celery, onions, and garlic are always on hand as well.  Voila!  Tomato rice soup!  Made out of almost nothing, but so perfect with a peice of homemade GF bread.  Did I mention this soup is beyond easy to make?

Tomato Rice Soup

1 Large can of whole peeled tomatoes (28 oz.)
3 ribs of celery diced
1 large onion diced
3-4 cloves of garlic smashed and chopped
1/2 cup white or brown rice, raw
1 T. sea salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
Water
any appropriate vegetable oil

Drizzle a couple tablespoons of cooking oil in the bottom of your soup pot, and sautee your onions, celery, and garlic for about 5 minutes.  Add your canned tomatoes, breaking them up with your spoon.  Next add two full cans of water using the same 28 oz. tomato can.  Then add your rice and seasonings, and stir.  Let this simmer for 30 to 45 minutes depending on what rice you use.  Brown rice will take longer and will be closer to 45 minutes to cook.   Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment