Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Vegan, Gluten Free Lentil Stew



It's Meatless Monday!

My friend started doing Meatless Mondays on her blog, and I thought I'd start doing it too, since we eat meatless about 3 to 4 times a week.  So tonight I made lentil stew.  Lentils are a staple in our house, and this comforting bowl of stew is so inviting.  Not only my kids love it, but friends & relatives love it too.  It's thick, hearty, full of flavor, and full of "Love", as my daughter would say it.   Try it just to say you had a bowl of "Love". Seriously, that kid cracks me up. 

Lentil Stew

1 lb. French lentils (or Brown  lentils, but the cooking time will be shorter)
1 onion, diced
2 carrots sliced
2-3 ribs of celery sliced
8-10 oz. of mushrooms sliced
3 cups chopped kale, packed as good as you can
2 med. potatoes large diced
2 bouillon cubes, vegan and GF like Rapunzel brand
1 T. sea salt (use to your liking)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 Tsp. dried herbs of your choice (I used Italian Seasonings years ago till I discovered Herbs de Provence. Tonight I'm using a blend from Germany that my brother brought me.  It has dill and curry in it. Strange combination, but wonderful on veggies!) 

Sautee the the onions, carrots, & celery in olive oil in a 5 qt. soup pot for 5-7 minutes.



Meanwhile sort and wash your lentils to remove any pebbles or dirt clods from the beans.  Add the lentils, mushrooms, kale and potatoes.  Then add 3 quarts of water (12 cups).



This is when I add the salt and pepper and herbs to the stew.  Bring the stew to a simmer and cook for around 2 hours depending on your lentils, the elevation, and whatever other factors that could affect cooking.  When the lentils melt in your mouth, it's done! Serve with your favorite GF crackers or add a dollop of short grain brown rice to the bottom of your bowl and ladle the soup on top.  That's what we did!    


2 comments:

  1. This looks so good Alina, I'm for sure going to make this for meatless Monday next week. I would love more meatless recipes if you got em :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep it up! Hey, just a note: If you use brown lentils, they cook in like 45 minutes or so. French lentils take longer, but they're different in texture. French lentils hold their shape better while brown lentils get mushy if you cook them too long. They're both good in this recipe, but I like French lentils better. Just my preference.

    ReplyDelete